WVU Move-in Weekend Family Activities
Begin your journey as a new Mountaineer by exploring your home away from home.
Welcome to Mountaineer Country! You have arrived on campus, unloaded your belongings in your dorm room, and you’re ready to discover the joys of your new surroundings.
To make the transition a little smoother (and more fun!), we’ve put together a guide to help you dive into Greater Morgantown with your family and new friends during move-in weekend!
Places to Eat
Greater Morgantown offers a variety of cuisines throughout its city streets and country roads. Work through the restaurant scene as you become a “local,” and taste all the options before deciding your favorite spot!
- Boston Beanery – Bar and grill patterned after old Boston pubs from the 1800’s
- Black Bear Burritos (Evansdale) – Made-to-order burritos, ethnic cuisines and local music and art fill this Appalachian spot
- Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save during your next visit!
- Ogawa Japanese Restaurant – One of Greater Morgantown’s sushi spots, complete with Japanese and Korean dishes
- Pizza Al’s – Top quality pizzas, with multiple locations throughout Greater Morgantown!
Health Science Campus:
- Kegler’s – A festive tavern serving classic bar food with sports playing on numerous TVs
- Los Mariachis – Craving chips and salsa? Greater Morgantown, stop in for Mexican cuisines – a new location is set to open in Granville!
- Tutto Gelato – Comfy cafe serving breakfast, panini, coffee drinks, and sweet treats amid photos of Italy. Save room for that Gelato!
- Iron Horse Tavern – Delicious twists on American favorites, complete with various drinks – check out their brunch options!
- Check out their great Mountaineer Deal to save during your next visit!
- Lavender Cafe – An authentic Taiwanese restaurant featuring classic Chinese dishes, sushi, and bubble tea
- Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza – Known for their Build-Your-Own-Pizza bar – open late for those late nights of studying!
- Looking for a great deal? Check out the Lotsa Mountaineer Deal!
- Mario’s Fishbowl (Downtown) – A 1950’s Morgantown gem filled with tradition, frosty beers (aka Fishbowls), great sandwiches, and mouth-watering chicken wings!
- Tailpipes – Step back into time with the rest of the decor and enjoy a Gourmet burger and inventive shake, which is a specialty at this lively, local eatery.
Things to Do
Jump into these fun-filled locations to enjoy quality time in Greater Morgantown!
- Morgantown Escape Room – Will you be able to unlock all of the clues in time? Grab your friends or family and take advantage of their Mountaineer Deal!
- Mountain Man Axe Throwing – Forget throwing darts; embrace life as a Mountaineer with axe throwing at this indoor range! Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save while you play.
- Mainstage Morgantown – A fun stop for listening to live music and bands!
- Launchpad Trampoline Park – Indoor trampoline park for jumping fun! Visit for a work out class or to release your energy! brought a lot of family? Check out their Mountaineer Deal and save!
- Monongahela River Trail – Located on a nature path along the river, this is the perfect place to walk with friends and family. Stop at one of the riverside restaurants for a bite to eat.
- Adventure WV – Zip through the trees with the WV Outdoor Education Zip Canopy Tour! Use their Mountaineer Deal to save while you soar!
- Monongalia County Ballpark – Root, root, root for the Black Bears! Stop in on one of their themed game nights for classic baseball fun.
- You can get game-day ready with this Mountaineer Deal for West Virginia Black Bear merchandise.
- The WOW! Factory – Create your own pottery masterpiece – maybe even the perfect coffee mug for your dorm room! See this Mountaineer Deal to receive 20 percent off a single-item pottery purchase.
- WVU PRT – West Virginia University’s own personal rapid transit system – become familiar with one of the most effective ways to travel throughout the University’s campus!
Places to See
Catch a glimpse of some of the best sights around campus. These eye-catching spots would be a great place to admire, and maybe snap a photo — cue the selfie stick!
- Cooper’s Rock Overlook – Visit this hiking spot right outside of Morgantown and take in the beautiful sunset!
- WVU Core Arboretum – Want to immerse yourself in nature right on the Evansdale campus? Stop here for hiking, bird-watching or a picnic!
- Monongalia Arts Center – Offering two galleries, the Benedum Gallery, which hosts a new exhibit every month, and the Robert M. Davis Gallery for Emerging Artists, you can appreciate both West Virginia and international art presentations.
- WVU Coliseum – Located on the Evansdale Campus, become familiar with where you’ll be cheering on the WVU Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams!
Worried about how to travel to these amazing Greater Morgantown locations? Check out these Transportation Tips to learn the best ways to get around town.
Having fun while exploring the area during Move-in Weekend? Capture your exciting moments with a photo, and share it with us using #TourMorgantown! Happy adventuring!
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.