Happy Birthday, West Virginia!
Celebrate 156 Wild and Wonderful Years
June 20, 1863 marks the date that West Virginia was recognized as the official 35th state in the United States of America. With 55 counties, four seasons, scenic landscapes, wildlife, outdoor adventures, Appalachian history, delicious food (our state delicacy–the pepperoni roll), and friendly folks, it’s no wonder they call West Virginia “Almost Heaven.”
This year, our “Wild and Wonderful” state turns 156! See how you can show your appreciation for our Mountain State in Greater Morgantown by attending true West Virginia events or exploring its vast, outdoor beauty.
- Taste of West Virginia: Thursday, June 20, support the American Red Cross and enjoy your favorite local dishes. Restaurants from around the region will gather at the Morgantown Marriott to showcase their best cuisines and unique dishes, competing for one of several culinary awards.
- Folk on the Hill Concert: On Thursday, invite your friends to listen to the melodies of Aurora Celtic, Jakob’s Ferry Stragglers and the Allegheny Hellbenders at Wiles Hill Park.
- West Virginia Day 2019 at the Apothecary Ale House & Cafe: The 7th Annual West Virginia Day Tap Takeover is back! See which one of your favorite brews is featured for the day.
- Cheer on the West Virginia Black Bears at the Monongalia County Ballpark: You’ll have three chances to root for the home team throughout the weekend. Thursday, June 20, the Black Bears will take on Mahoning Valley, and the evening will end with fireworks… and cake! The Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau will be handing out cake after the game. Friday night at the ballpark, the team will face State College. On Saturday, June 22, bring your favorite wizarding robe and magic wand for Wizard Night!
- Hilly Billy Roubaix: Saturday, June 22, avid road bike racers will be traveling to through the “hollers and hills” of West Virginia to compete for the Hillbilly Roubaix title. This 72″ish”-mile dirty road bicycle race through the country around Morgantown and South Western Pennsylvania is both scenic and challenging. While the hills are known for their intensity level, the cool mountain air and shady paths make it a balanced experience. Want to learn more or register to compete? There’s still time! Visit the Hillbilly Roubaix Facebook page for details.
- Food Trucks and Triple S Bucks: Visit Triple S Harley-Davidson on Saturday, June 22 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for your chance to test ride the JUMPSTART – and enter for your chance to win $500 Triple S Bucks! Stop in to check out your favorite motorcycles, enjoy local food trucks and listen to live entertainment.
- The Handcrafted Cooperative: Head to the Morgantown Marketplace on Saturday, June 22 from 4 p.m. – 10 p.m. to find unique handmade items from local independent makers.
- West Virginia Birthday Celebration: On Saturday, June 22, Downtown Morgantown will be home to this family-friendly street festival. From noon to 6 p.m., the block of High Street between Walnut and Pleasants Streets will feature live music, a children’s area, local art and food vendors and more! Along with free admission, cake and cookies will be available. There will even be a chance to sing Happy Birthday!
- Paddle the Monongahela River: Looking for something relaxing to do this weekend? Grab your kayak or canoe and enjoy a leisure escape down the Monongahela River. Take in the scenic views on either side of the river and unwind.
- Bike ride the Rail to Trail: Rent a bicycle from Wamsley Cycles in the Seneca Center or break out your own to ride along the Monongahela River. The local Deckers Creek Rail to Trail expands for 19 miles, and it allows cyclists to enjoy the scenic waterway and West Virginia nature throughout the ride.
- Raft on the Cheat River: Book a raft trip with Cheat River Outfitters in Albright, West Virginia and make a memory that will last a lifetime. Experience the wild and wonderful nature there is along this rapid-filled waterway in Greater Morgantown.
- Hike the Raven’s Rock trail in Coopers Rock State Forest: Take the adventurous route and hike 2.5 miles to Raven’s Rock. This scenic view allows you to see the mountainous landscape from all viewpoints and provides a different perspective from the overlook.
Share your West Virginia Birthday photos with us by using #TourMorgantown and #MountaineerCountryYes in your posts!
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.