2019 Christmas Events in Mountaineer Country
Parades, Plays and Plenty of Holiday Fun!
Putting up the Christmas tree, hanging the lights and visiting Santa …one thing is for sure, Christmas is here!
Whether or not you’ve started decorating and your kids have made their wish lists, it’s never too early to get in the spirit and start planning your must-do events.
If you’re a local or you’re visiting Mountaineer Country, there is plenty to do this holiday season. From parades, plays and numerous activities, there is always MORE! to do when you’re here for the holidays.
- Santa will also be at the Morgantown Mall all season long, starting Friday, November 22 until Christmas Eve, for kids to meet and take photos with him
- Morgantown Mall is hosting Sensitive Santa meet and greet on Sunday, December 8 from 8:00 am to 10:00 am.
- Head to Preston County Inn on Saturday, December 14 at 9:00 a.m. for Breakfast with Santa
- Join Triple S Harley Davidson on Saturday, December 7 and Sunday, December 8 from 11:00am to 4:00pm for pictures with Santa. There will be an inflatable bounce house, ornament coloring station, and plenty of games for the kids while you wait to see Santa. Prices start at $10.00.
- The Mason-Dixon Historical Park is holding their 4th annual event with games and cookie decorating, as well as Santa himself, on Saturday, December 14 starting at 5:00pm.
- The Erickson Alumni Center is hosting a Brunch with Santa on Sunday, December 15 at 10:00am. Enjoy delicious food and free photos with Mr. and Mrs. Claus!
For more chances to see Santa, visit out Santa Sightings in and around Mountaineer Country guide.
- Morgantown Christmas Parade: Thursday, Dec. 12 at 6:30pm in Downtown Morgantown
- Kingwood Christmas Parade: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 3:00pm in Preston County
- Star City Christmas Parade: Friday, Dec. 6 from 6:00pm on University Avenue
- Grafton Christmas Parade: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:30pm in Downtown Grafton
- Terra Alta Christmas Parade: Friday, Dec. 13 at 5:30pm in the Town of Terra Alta
Plays and Events
- Celebration of Lights: Friday, Saturday, and Sundays from 6:00pm to 10:00pm until Friday, Dec. 27 at Morris Park. View over 420 lights displays as you take a 1.3 mile drive with your loved ones. Price is $10 per car.
- Landau and Larry Home for the Holidays Concert: Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7:00pm, this exciting event will feature America’s Got Talent winner and Columbia recording artist Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. Tickets start at $30.
- Jingle Jam: Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:30pm at the Chestnut Ridge Church in Morgantown. Don’t miss this high-energy, high-spirited, interactive Christmas event geared towards elementary-aged children!
- Light Up Night: Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:30pm in Downtown Grafton. Join the community in its Mayoral Tree Lighting and Main Street Light-Up.
- Holiday Cookie Crawl: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 11:00am, head to Downtown Morgantown and sample holiday treats from your favorite local businesses.
- Kingwood Parks and Recreation Holiday Bazaar: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 9:00am. Pick up one-of-a-kind crafts from local vendors. Admission is a non-perishable food item for the local food pantry.
- The Festival of Trees: Thursday, Nov. 7 until Saturday, Dec. 7. The display is open to the public, with varying hours from day to day, at Gallery 62 West by the Taylor County Arts Council.
- Sounds of the Season: Sunday, Dec. 8 at 2:00pm. Get in the holiday spirit with the WVU Wind Symphony and WVU Symphonic Band. Admission starts at $5.
- Great Cookie Challenge: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 3:30pm in Preston Community Arts Center. Following Main Street Kingwood’s Christmas Parade, come inside to sample wonderful homemade cookies with a $3 admission and shop for unique one-of-a-kind Christmas presents made by local artisans.
- Moscow Ballet’s “Great Russian Nutcracker:” Monday, Dec. 9 at 7:30pm at CAC. Tickets start at $24.
- Holiday Tea Tasting: Wednesday, Dec. 11 at 6:00pm at The Tea Shoppe. Guests will be given a tea overview and then have the chance to try a variety of seasonal tea flavors. Tickets cost $10.
- Holiday Cozy Dinner: Friday, Dec. 13 and Saturday, Dec. 14 at 5:00pm at the Modern Homestead at Tathams. Join in for a cozy monthly dinner based on new and classic cookbooks available at the shop.
- Season of Lights Planetarium Show: Friday, Dec.13 at the WVU Planetarium. Learn stories of how holiday traditions are connected to the sky above us with this exciting full-dome experience.
- Holiday Ornaments from Nature: Saturday, Dec. 14 at 1:00pm at the West Virginia Botanic Garden. Create beautiful ornaments with Mother Nature’s materials. This workshop costs $5 for members and $15 for non-members.
- Rowlesburg Christmas Market: Saturday, Dec. 14 at the Szilagyi Center in Rowlesburg, WV. Come out for Preston County’s biggest Christmas celebration, with vendors galore along with music, food, and fun!
- The Jazz Nutcracker: Saturday, Dec. 14 and Sunday, Dec. 15 at various times at the Metropolitan Theatre in Downtown Morgantown. Kick-off the holidays with Morgantown Dance and a whimsical version of the classic holiday story – The Nutcracker.
- Gingerbread Workshop: Saturday, Dec. 14 at 10:30am and 1:00pm at the Spark! Imagination and Science Center. Build cherished memories as you create a gingerbread house, make a light-up gingerbread craft, look at a model railroad display provided by the Mon Valley Railroad Historical Society, Inc. and so much more. Tickets are $45, which includes one gingerbread kit and the entrance fee. Additional entry tickets can be purchased for $10 per person and additional gingerbread kits can be purchased the day of the event.
- Tea with Mrs. Claus: Saturday, Dec. 14 at 10:00am at The Tea Shoppe. Mrs. Claus will lead the guest’s in holiday activities and crafts. Plus, kids may bring their letters for Santa, so Mrs. Claus may personally deliver them before Christmas. Tickets for the event cost $22.50. This event is open to those who are ages three and older. Make your reservations today!
- A Charlie Brown Christmas: Tuesday, Dec. 17 through Saturday, Dec. 21 at various times at the WVU Creative Arts Center. Watch as the classic animated film “A Charlie Brown Christmas” comes to life on stage, presented by the West Virginia Public Theatre. Grab the kids and enjoy a nostalgic tale this holiday season. Ticket costs range from $15-$25.
- Harry Potter Yule Tea Party: Thursday, Dec. 19 or Friday, Dec. 20 at The Tea Shoppe. Take your pick between two exciting Witches, Wizards and Muggles tea tastings which include the specialty Harry Potter Yule Tea, tasting treats, and more. This event is open to anyone age 16 and older. Reserve your seat today!
- Hometown Holiday: Tuesday, Dec. 24 in Downtown Morgantown. Head downtown for last-minute Christmas shopping with special Christmas Eve hours for our fantastic businesses.
- Tinsel and Tutus: Saturday, Dec. 21 and Sunday, Dec. 22 at the Metropolitan Theatre. Join Artistry House, a participating Mountaineer Deals partner, for their Tinsel and Tutus holiday dance extravaganza. Ticket costs range from $10-$15 per person.
- Holiday Exhibition & Sale Underway: Thursday, Dec. 19 through Monday, Dec. 23 at the Monongalia Art Center. Looking for new art to fill your home with holiday cheer? Come out to the Holiday Exhibition & Sale at the Benendum and Davis Galleries. The exhibition will feature the work of regional multi-media artists. All artwork is suitable for gift giving and personal enjoyment.
Click here for a full list of Christmas events and activities in Greater Morgantown this holiday season.
Heading to Downtown Morgantown for holiday fun? Enjoy free holiday parking starting Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019, through Sunday, Jan. 5, 2020. Free parking will be available all day in all metered lots and metered parking garages but does not include the gated parking garages.
Know of other Christmas events in the area? Let us know and we will add it to the list!
Plus, share your favorite Mountaineer Country holiday activity or tradition with us by using #VisitMountaineerCountry and we may use your photo on our social!
Interested in attending more than one event this weekend? Stay overnight at one of the many hotels and lodgings in Morgantown. Click to reserve your stay.
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.